The Adventures of Hurley and Ben


Status - The Adventures are BACK SOON!!! ! Webisode #12 "Time Will Tell", the season finale, will post tentatively on 06/14 at 9pm EST. Check out the Webisode Archive link to catch up from the beginning of the story!


Wednesday, October 6, 2010

#05 "Hugo, Boss"


2007


Hurley sat on a rock in the riverbed in awe after what had just happened. He looked over to the cave where the gleaming light had returned. The flowing water in the river was getting deeper. He looked at Ben, who was staring back at him as he awaited Hurley’s next move. The sounds of a man groaning came from behind and Hurley quickly turned to see Desmond’s body lying in the river.
“He’s waking up” Ben advised, as he stood up. Hurley stayed still and looked like a deer in headlights.
Ben walked over to Desmond and knelt next to him in the river. Desmond opened his eyes and saw Ben. Instantly, Desmond lashed out at him, “You!” he screamed as he grabbed Ben’s throat and started to choke him. Ben couldn’t call out, as it was difficult to even breathe with the grip around his windpipe. Suddenly, as quickly as it began, Desmond passed back out. Ben gasped for air as Desmond’s hold loosened.
“A little help?” Ben coughed, but Hurley was unfazed by Ben’s misfortune. He continued his near catatonic state, staring at the cave and biting his lower lip. “Hugo…” Ben started to get back up, “Hello?” He walked over to Hurley and stood in front of him, “Is anyone home?” Hurley looked away from him to avoid eye contact, still biting his bottom lip. “What’s the matter? Is something wrong, Hugo?”
“Is something wrong??” Hurley snapped and looked Ben dead in the eyes, “It’s all wrong, man! This wasn’t supposed to happen like this …”
“Yes, Hugo. Yes it was” Ben interrupted, “You are exactly what this island needs. Now, Desmond is waking up. He obviously needs to see you when he does.” Ben stood back up, “You are in control now.” Ben confirmed as he walked toward Desmond. Hurley looked shocked at those words. “You owned a box company, this should be easy for you, Hugo”
“There aren’t smoke monsters impersonating people, earthquakes, or magic lights at Box Squared,” Hurley advised, getting up to follow Ben. “You said earlier I could make my own rules. What does that even mean?” Hurley asked.
“I am quite curious about that myself actually,” Ben answered.
Hurley scoffed, “This is no joke, dude,” as he stood over Desmond.

Desmond started to wake up again, this time in a slow, groggy fashion. “What happened? My head … hurts.” Desmond tried to sit up.
“I wanted to ask you that, dude” Hurley replied as he helped him up.
”Jack … is he still down there?” Desmond asked looking at the cave.
“He, um, Jack, uh, didn’t make it.” Hurley stammered. Ben stood still watching the conversation.
“What about the others?” Desmond asked.
“Well we saw the plane fly overhead so … they at least got into the air. I am sure they are half way to Guam, I hope,” Hurley looked around and noticed the water bottle that held the drink that gave him his new fate, “Ben, grab that bottle and fill it with some water please.” Hurley led Desmond to a large rock and rested him against it, “Easy man. If I’m right, this water should help heal you.”
“Why do you say that, brotha?” Desmond asked.
“Well, this water was here at first, then when you went down the cave and did whatever, the island started shaking and the water disappeared. Then we all ran after Locke Smokenstein and Jack fought him, Kate shot him, then Jack pushed him off a cliff. But, he stabbed Jack in the pancreas or liver or something. Jack said it was fatal. Anyways, we came back here and the river was all dried up. Jack went down the cave and did something after he saved you that made the island stop shaking,” Ben walked back and handed the empty bottle to Hurley, “Long story short, dude, the light came back and the water started flowing again so, I think it’s special.” Hurley dipped the bottle into the water and handed it to Desmond.
“Well then, I guess I was out for a while, ya?” Desmond asked as he took a drink.
“About an hour … maybe,” Hurley answered.
“Who else stayed behind?” asked Desmond as he took another drink from the bottle.
“Just us three.” Hurley answered.
“That, I can say, is incorrect.”

A rustling came from within the jungle as something moved toward them. The three of them stood side by side as they watched to see what would appear.
“Here we go again,” Hurley exclaimed half expecting the worst. The brush by the riverbed moved aside as Vincent jumped through and ran up to them wagging his tail.
Hurley bent down to pet him and noticed something was not quite right. “There’s blood on him.”
“Is he wounded?” Desmond asked.
“No, it’s not his blood.” Hurley explained. Vincent barked and ran toward the jungle in the direction he had just come from. “Where you going Vincent?” He let out another bark and stopped wagging his tail.
“I think he wants us to follow him,” Ben advised. Vincent let out a confirming bark again and ran around in a circle.
“Alright dog dude,” Hurley said as he started to follow, “Let’s go.”

The three of them followed Vincent into the woods. Hurley tried to help Desmond along.
"I’m okay. I think I can make it on my own, brotha" Desmond directed. Vincent led them into to the bamboo forest and barked as he started to run. There was a trail of blood on the stalks of the bamboo. Desmond pointed to the right as he shouted, “Over there!”
Hurley and Ben followed his directions and noticed what he pointed to. “Oh no … Jack!” Hurley exclaimed.

The trio ran over to Jack’s body lying on the ground. They stood around him, looking in dread. Speechless. Vincent sat quietly next to the body, panting then letting out a quiet yelp as he lied down. The jungle was also quiet, as it seemed to be in remembrance.
“He looks at peace,” Ben stated, breaking the silence, “Is he smiling?”
“Don’t disrespect him, Ben” Hurley retorted as tears welled up in his eyes.
“He does,” Desmond replied, “He looks … content. How did he even get here?”
“I dunno … I thought he was still down in the cave. He didn’t come out by us,” Hurley clarified, and looked at Ben, “There must have been another way out on the other side?”
“Don’t look at me … the idea that there was even a cave is still news to me,” Ben responded.
“What now?” Desmond asked.
“We have to bury him, dude” Hurley answered, “We have to lay him to rest with the others.”
“I know the perfect place,” Ben advised.

Desmond and Hurley picked up Jack’s lifeless body as Ben led them toward the beach. It wasn’t long before they had reached the Flight 815 crash site. Pieces of the wreckage were still there. Ben walked past and to the right with Hurley and Desmond trailing behind, carrying Jack around their shoulders. Vincent kept pace beside them. They made their way to the cemetery where a hole was already dug.
“I dug this hole for myself.” Ben explained, “Ilana made me do it.”
Hurley and Desmond placed Jack’s corpse into the hole, then hovered over him.
“There’s only one shovel,” Ben advised.
“I’ll do it,” Hurley demanded, “It should be me anyways, dude, seeing as I am succeeding him as protector of this place.” Ben handed him the shovel.
Desmond stared down at Jack, “The last thing he said to me was ‘See you in another life brother’. I guess he was right,” he said solemnly as he picked up a handful of sand, “You died with distinction, Jack. Indeed. See you in another life, brotha.” Desmond tossed the sand onto Jack’s body.
Ben walked over and stood next to Hurley, who looked as if he was about to cry. “You were one of the good guys, Jack” Ben said, also grabbing a handful of sand, “I’m sorry for the grief I put you through. I hope you understand why it had to be that way. Like you, I swore to protect this place. Thank you for being the savior.” Ben tossed the sand into the hole and looked at Hurley, “You can do this, Hugo.”
Hurley stepped forward and stuck the shovel into the sand. “Thank you, Jack …” he paused, fighting back the tears that inevitably started to fall down his cheek, “Thank you for protecting us all these years…” he wept, “for making sure we didn’t die alone.” Hurley held the shovel full of sand up, “I’m gonna miss you, dude” and tossed the sand onto Jack. He quickly wiped the tears from his face. He continued to shovel as the sun started to set. Nobody spoke a word until he had filled the grave completely. “Goodbye Jack” Hurley concluded.



***************



“Not to spoil the mood but, I need to go home. I miss my family.” Desmond started, “You’re the leader now, ya? How do you suppose I do that?”
Ben looked at Hurley, curious as to what the response might be. Vincent started barking and wagging his tail.
“Vincent!” a voice called out from the woods behind them.
“Over here!” Hurley yelled back. Vincent ran into the woods toward the voice.
“Hello?” The voice called back, “Hurley?”
“Yea! It’s … me!” Hurley responded looking confused. Desmond smiled at Hurley. Ben stood there unfazed as Bernard appeared to them.
“Dude!” Hurley yelled in delight as he dropped the shovel, chuckled, and walked over to Bernard to hug him, “I’m so glad to see you, man!”
“What happened?” Bernard asked.
Hurley explained, “That’s kind of a long story, dude. Where is Rose?”
“She is back at the house cleaning up and preparing for dinner. Now that the earthquakes have stopped shaking our shack apart, I came to check the traps for fish,” Bernard replied, “The quakes should have shook up the seabed. There should be enough for everyone. You’re more than welcome to join us. I know Rose could use the company,” he smiled, “I am sure she is tired of looking at this old face.”
The three of them grinned as food sounded like a great idea. Desmond and Ben looked at Hurley. The sun was sinking below the horizon.
“Des-man,” Hurley started, “I can get you off this island. For now, let’s eat and rest. It’s been a long day for all of us. Get a fresh start in the morning?”
“I agree. That is a good plan, Boss man,” Desmond replied.
“Ben?” Hurley asked.
“I go where you go, Hugo” Ben chuckled.
“What’s this ‘boss’ stuff?” Bernard asked as he started walking to the shoreline.
“Yea, I’m like, the protector of the island now…” Hurley explained as they followed him, “now that Jack died.”
“What? Jack? Wow!” Bernard exclaimed.

In the distance, unnoticed, someone was watching from within the brush as the four men collected fish from the traps Bernard had set in the water. Ben turned to look curiously in the direction of the unknown onlooker and smirked, then returned to collecting fish.





Next week, on LOST: The Adventures of Hurley and Ben…

The storm came as if from nowhere. The rain sounded like a freight train as it ricocheted off the rooftops of the cabins.

"You are the one who has to help me, son" Michael advised.

The black SUV pulled up to the garage door of an abandoned warehouse. With a loud clank, the door opened and the SUV drove inside, then the door closed quickly behind. The SUV driver's door opened and Chisisi stepped out.

8 comments:

  1. Another wonderful edition ... you've got the gift. I just wish they were a little longer, reads too fast LOL. How long do you think this they would be in TV time? Are you going to post it to our LOST Support Group wall? Hope so!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey ... our discussion of Walkabout starts today too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Andrea! I agree, they are short. Reason being is that I figured not a lot of people have time to read something more than 15-30 minutes long.

    The other part of it is the speed of the average reader. If you are a speed reader, I can tell you that you missed some details ;) ... everything written has relevance in some way. In TV time, I believe that these webisodes would be a little longer than the "Missing Pieces" shorts found on the Season 4 Bonus Disc. Now that I am posting on Wed night, I may be able to stretch these a little longer. This one was the longest so far.

    Sorry I missed the re-watch last night. After I posted this I pretty much shut down. I will post this link over there if you think your fans will enjoy it. Or you may post it if you like. Thank you for your support.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Darth. I am all caught up now and looking forward to the next episode :)

    Veewitch
    (Veronica)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best one so far, very touching. I especially like the way you got everyone right. It seems a natural progression although quite insightful. You may have enough for a book, soon. And, btw, the length is just about right. If it were twice as long, I'd still want more, I know we all would, so just keep doin' what you're doin' and we'll all be fine and still Lostfully blessed for some time to come.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Veewitch - Thanks for reading! Much more to come :)

    @ John - I am sure length will vary weeek to week. the feedback I am getting from everyone is that more is wanted either way. That makes me happy. As for the book idea ... well let's just say, the thought has crossed my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very, very touching! Is it sad that a 'webisode' is making me tear up?? I think the length is good, I'll always want more of course, but I feel like each story would be separated by a commercial if it were an episode! I just love it and am loving the creativity!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Katie! I do not think it is sad at all .. in fact, I like that you teared up a lot and exactly what I was hoping for :) That right there is one heck of a compliment! It tells me that I am doing my job (if I can call it a "job"). I hope that I can continue to envoke emotion.

    I agree, the length is ok. I am trying to make them a little longer as I go. I appreciate the comments.

    ReplyDelete