The Adventures of Hurley and Ben


Status - The Adventures are BACK SOON!!! ! Webisode #12 "Time Will Tell", the season finale, will post tentatively on 06/14 at 9pm EST. Check out the Webisode Archive link to catch up from the beginning of the story!


Wednesday, October 20, 2010

#07 "When It Rains, It Pours"

Hurley got out of bed as thunder crashed outside. The flashes of lightning lit up the room like a strobe light. The rain was loud as it hit the rooftops, drowning out any other noises except the thunder. He walked to Ben’s room and opened the door. The bed was unmade but Ben was not there. Hurley, very concerned, flicked on the light switch in the hallway, but the overhead light did not turn on. He headed into the living room guided only by the flashes of the lightning.

The living room was also empty. Hurley attempted to turn on another light for good measure but was unsuccessful, confirming the cabin’s power failure. The lightning flashed again and Hurley noticed a shadow on the wall. He turned to see Ben standing by the doorway, soaking wet.
“Hello Hugo”
Startled, Hurley jumped and shouted, “Dude!”
“I didn’t mean to frighten you,” Ben responded.
“Well, you did. What are you doing man?” Hurley asked anxiously.
“The storm knocked the power out. I went to check on the others.” Ben explained as water dripped down his face.

Hurley grabbed a blanket that had been thrown on the couch. He tossed it to the water logged Ben, “Here, dry yourself off,” and sat down on the couch, “How are the others?”
“Rose and Bernard are sleeping through it. Cindy is taking care of Emma and Zach. They’re a bit scared of the storm after what happened during the last major storm,” Ben advised as he dried his hair with the blanket, “I had to try and convince them the island won’t shake apart this time. Not to mention their concern for Walt, since he didn’t return. Now, if you don’t mind, I am going to change into dry clothes.”
“Yea, good call. They can all come over here if it’ll make ‘em feel safer,” Hurley explained with concern as Ben walked down the hall, “Actually that would be best. With the power out all over the community, the sonic fence is also without power.”
Ben stopped in his tracks, “Agreed. Sounds like we have a busy day ahead of us.” Visually disturbed, he continued to his room.

The flashes of lightning seemed to grow with intensity and the thunder crashed louder. Hurley grew anxious. An overwhelming feeling overtook him. He stood up from the couch and walked to the window to look outside. The clouds looked strange as the lightning flashed. The intensity of the light almost seemed unnatural.


2007


The night sky seemed strange to Hurley as he looked out the window of Rose and Bernard’s tattered shack. This was the first night of the rest of his new life. He took a deep breath and let it out slowly. The scent of cooked fish filled the air.
“Are you gonna keep staring out the window, or are you gonna help me set the table?” Rose asked persuasively.
Hurley noticed Desmond and Ben were helping with the preparations of the fish. He turned to Rose somberly with what looked like all the energy he could muster. Rose could not help but give him a hug, which Hurley gladly accepted.
“It’s good to see you, Rose,” Hurley sighed, “It’s been a really long, bad day.”
“It sure has, just look at this place. It rained a lot today,” Rose insisted, releasing from the embrace.
Hurley looked around and realized the shack really was dilapidated. Pieces of the bamboo wall were broken and still wet from the storm. The only light was coming from the few candles spread about the room and a couple of lanterns. He walked to the table to assist Rose with the place settings. Rose looked up at him, and then looked outside to where the others were preparing the food. “I’m happy to see you Hurley, but you gotta leave after dinner. I don’t want John Locke to come looking for Desmond again.”
“Locke?” Hurley looked surprised, “He’s dead.”
Rose looked up at him in shock, “He was just here earlier and took Desmond with him”
“Yea that wasn’t really Locke…” Hurley stammered, “Um, long story short, the guy you saw that looked like Locke…he’s dead too.”
“When the island shook?” Rose asked unconvincingly.
“Yeah,” Hurley let out a sigh, “There’s kind of a lot of stuff you need to catch up on.”

Bernard, Desmond and Ben walked in holding large amounts of cooked fish. The five of them gathered around the rickety bamboo table and ate the feast from the sea. Vincent lay sleeping on the floor next to them. Hurley told the tale of the days passed. He explained the best he could of their fellow survivors that escaped the island as the Oceanic 6. How they returned, how Ben turned good, the passing of Jack, and the story of Jacob’s dynasty. Ben watched as everyone listened to how Hurley is now protector of the island and how evil was vanquished.

The food had all been eaten by the time Hurley finished speaking. Rose and Bernard sat speechless. There was a long pause where it seemed an hour passed within that moment. Rose finally broke the awkward silence as she stood up, “Well, it must be true ‘cause I don’t think anyone could’ve made that story up.” She started to clear the table, “You gentleman can sleep here tonight, but only for tonight.”
“Aye. I’ll best be on my way in the morning, Rose. You’ve been most kind, thank you,” Desmond responded as he nodded his head in agreement.
“What’s wrong, Rose?” Bernard asked as he helped clear the table.
“Nothing, I’m just tired and I want to go to bed,” Rose responded as she looked over at Hurley, “It’s been a really long, bad day.” She then dumped the dirty old plates into a large bucket of water on the floor.

The next morning Hurley awoke to Desmond standing over him. The morning sunlight gleamed around Desmond’s head as if he were an angel. Hurley cleared his eyes and sat up, “What are you doing Des?”
“I’m ready to go,” Desmond responded as he helped Hurley to his feet.
“Okay, okay. Where’s Ben?” Hurley asked, still a bit groggy.
“I don’t know brotha. He’s not here,” Desmond advised.
Hurley looked around the room looking for any hint that Ben slept there at all. The room was still a mess from quakes. There was no telling whether Ben had stayed.
“Where could he have gone?” Hurley asked.
“Look here, I don’t care one bit about that bug eyed bastard. He shot me and went after Pen and my son,” Desmond explained, “I’ve only been putting up with him because you made the mistake of making him your lackey.”
“Hey man, yeah, I’m not sure what that means,” Hurley retorted, “but Ben has changed a lot over the last--”
“I don’t want to hear about it, mate,” Desmond interjected and stepped closer to Hurley, “You said you’re the boss man? Well then, get me off this bloody island!”

Vincent sat by the cooking area outside and barked as Hurley and Desmond walked out of the shack. Everything was moist from the morning dew. They walked into the jungle in the direction of the old beach camp. The morning sun glistened through the treetops as they hiked.
“I’ve gotta ask man, how are you gonna do this by yourself?” Desmond asked.
“Do what?” Hurley responded.
“Protect an island you know nothing about?”
“That’s what Ben was supposed to be for,” Hurley replied as he cleared a branch from his path.
“I wouldn’t trust him. I’ve seen what this island can do. It would not be good if it were to fall into the wrong hands,” Desmond warned.

Hurley and Desmond walked through the brush and into the old camp. Hurley looked around, “Oh no! This isn’t right!” as he ran toward the shore.
“What?” Desmond confusedly asked as he trotted behind him.
“There was one of those row boat things here, I swear,” Hurley explained as he looked around.
“There!” Desmond yelled as he pointed out at the ocean, “Is that … my boat?”
Hurley looked up and they both saw the “Elizabeth I” heading toward the shore with Ben sailing her and waving back at them. They both stood there stunned for a moment.
“There’s your way home, Des,” Hurley observed.
“I don’t suppose I can talk you into coming with me,” Desmond said.
Hurley thought for a moment, “Nah,” He turned to Desmond and placed his hand on Desmond’s shoulder. He looked Desmond in the eyes and said, “The Island no longer needs you Desmond. You’ve done your part, now it’s my turn, dude.”
Desmond responded in awe, “One thing. Remember what I said, yeah? About him,” Desmond motioned to Ben, “You see to it that the bloody cork stays where it is. Evil doesn’t just die, ya know?”
“Oh, K.” Hurley acknowledged and gave a quick hug, “I guess I will see you in another life brother.”
“Aye. That, I know for a fact is true.” Desmond smiled, gave a wink, and ran into the water.


Present Day


“What’s going on?” Ben asked walking up to Hurley in a clean, striped, button down shirt.
“I dunno,” Hurley muttered, still looking out the window.
“Do you see anything?” inquired Ben as he rolled up his sleeves.
“Not sure,” Hurley mumbled
“Well you sure have all the answers big guy,” Ben scoffed.
“I can’t explain it okay?” Hurley snapped, still looking out the window, “I keep getting this feeling like the island is trying to tell me something.”
“And what would that be, Boss?” Ben asked skeptically.
"That’s what I’ve been telling you, I don’t know,” Hurley retorted.
“Well, what does it feel like, Hugo??”
Hurley turned away from the window and looked Ben straight in the eyes. As lightning flashed and thunder crashed, he said nervously, “Fear.”


 
 

5 comments:

  1. I had shivers ... great mystery writing here, and flushing out the character and story really well Mr. Sillynous!!

    Its too long to wait for the next installment LOL ... I want to just keep reading and reading!!

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bloody Island we are still on this bloody Island :)))))))))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just started reading! You tell a bloody good tale!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darth, I've been reading this since you invited me. When is the next episode dude??! This is like getting my weekly LOST fix again!! Brilliant. Keep it up. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ANON - Thanks!
    @Andrea - Thank you, that is a really nice compliment. I appreciate it so very much.
    @Jessy - I hope everyone stays on this bloddy island!
    @Laura - Welcome! and thank you. I hope you continue to stick around.
    @Linda - Thank you. I am glad I am giving you your LOST fix :) I plan to keep it up for a while.

    Thank you all for your comments and compliments. I appreciated you all more than you know.

    Namaste.

    ReplyDelete